Saturday, September 18, 2010

Political junkies………

Ok, when you don’t have a local election (so glad) there’s always another candidate that could use your help. Today, when most folks were out picking apples or just enjoying a great fall day, I walked a North Salem neighborhood for Duval Patrick in his re-election bid as Governor of Massachusetts. It certainly sounded like a fun idea on Thursday when Jason asked, “What are you doing on Saturday. Would you like to canvas a neighborhood for Gov. Duval Patrick? ” Sure….. So off I went, originally with the Mayor and another friend, to check out, as one might say, the political climate.
By and large, folks were positive, some were talkative, and others just let me say my piece and leave some literature. No dogs or people bit me. (My biggest fear.) Just a nice afternoon chitchatting. One street was even hosting a block party. Although I was hungry, I didn’t have the nerve to ask for a hotdog. A few of the streets were deserted as I’m sure they were off doing Saturday errands or picking those apples we alluded to earlier. Of course, there was a list and I was either going to finish the list or run out of flyers. I would have preferred to finish the list, (I hate turning in unfinished work.) but with 80% of the list complete, the flyers ran out and I called it a day after about two hours. All and all, some exercise and helping our Governor, it turned out to be a good way to spend a sunny September Saturday in Salem. I hope he wins. He has my vote, along with my shoe leather.

No comments: