Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Yikes....... a rattlesnake in the road


Arizona Diamondback on the prowl........ and not the baseball playing version
My first sighting of a rattlesnake other than behind a glass enclosure. It's been extremely hot for the last week and the critters, mostly the venomous ones, are coming out of hibernation. Today we were just leaving the house when Donald had to swerve the vehicle to avoid running over this guy. Of course , we had to stop the car and I had to jump out to get a closer look. While he (Donald, not the snake) yelled at me not to get too close, I kept my distance. It was about three feet long, with an obvious rattler, and it soon decided it was best to get back in the bushes before it gets run over. How exciting.........

2 comments:

TerriD said...

You might really want to give some thought to a nature / explorer publication! That is so cool but I'm shaky from here!!! You are much braver than me - I would have never gotten out of the car. Actually I would probably not stopped the car.

Dawn Fine said...

You Brave gal you....We saw two cottonmouth snakes when canoeing recently...better seen from afar!

Jeff and I are going into Perry, Georgia next week for an Rv rally.
We then head to my sisters in North Carolina for the month of April..
She is just north of Pinehurst and hour south of Raliegh in the small town of Carthage..
give us a shout if you are driving by..we can do some ting or nutter...